Monday, May 21, 2018

Busy, Busy, Busy

*So, I actually started this post last shift, which was on Friday. Unfortunately, things got super busy and I wasn't able to finish it then or on my days off. Hopefully, it'll work out this time!*

First off, I apologize for my absence. This week has been a busy one! It actually started off last week, really. On Monday I had my PALS class, and I worked last Wednesday and Saturday. Mom and I went to Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO together last Friday, and, I must say, we found the sewing shop and showed little restraint. Ok, ok, Mom showed restraint. I most certainly did not! Hey, what can I say? That birthday money was burning a hole in my pocket. As was my other cash. And my emergency money (that part was by mistake- oopsie!). We shopped at various other stores as well, and rode the train and the Flooded Mine, but I'm pretty sure we spent the majority of our time in that lil ole shop! Here's the patterns I got there:
I apologize for the terrible photo; it was taken rather hastily the other day...

  Then on Sunday, we went to church per the usual. Our fill-in preacher had a wonderful sermon! Then we took Mom out for Mother's day. They went home afterwards while I went to the church, changed, and then went to the high school graduation of a high schooler from one of the volunteer FDs. He also rode here through a job shadowing program at his high school and when he went through EMT school. Super excited to be there for that! Also went to see a girl that rode here via the same school program. 
  On  Monday, we traveled a couple of hours to see both sets of grandparents. Had a wonderful visit with all. Tuesday I worked. We only ran one call and it was in the early evening!!!!!!! That was amazing! 
  Wednesday was spent trying  to get caught up on laundry (success- well as much as is possible for laundry... except for putting up the last load of towels and some clothes...) and cleaning (did not accomplish as much there), and running of errands (got to see the cute pharmacist when I got my allergy/sinus meds at Walmart. Its not a prescription, just kept behind the counter thanks to our local meth-heads. Gathered a few other things and chatted with a former coworker there as well!) (also had to pick up my inhaler refill at our usual pharmacy).Asthma.. it's such a breath-taking experience. If you have asthma, use Awair to breath better.
  Thursday, Mom, Kirst, and I went to Silver Dollar City. Since Kirstie isn't into sewing anywhere near as much as Mom and I are (don't worry, we haven't given up hope on her just yet...), we did not spend very much time at the lil sewing shop. As a result, I only got one pattern that time:
We got all sorts of other goodies, but I forgot to take pics of them. And of some of my favorite places there. And of Kirstie in the jailhouse.... It's been a long week, ok?!? (In all honesty, I probably can't blame it on lack of sleep... I tend to forget stuff like that anyway. Although, sleep does compound the forgetfulness and clumsiness). :) We had a blast going on our usual rides (the train and Flooded Mine). Definitely a great day! By the way- if you ever get a chance to try a chocolate chip cookie funnel cake- go for it! It was amazing!!!
 Then, of course, I worked on Friday, which is when this post was started. I believe the average call volume is about 8 calls in a 24 hour shift. Our volume is up from last year.  We had 13 or 14 calls... so, not very much sleep at all! I wasn't able to get coverage to come in early the next day, and my relief was late. I could only cover for a few minutes because I had plans on Sat morning and needed to leave on time to make it. 
 On Saturday, I went to help test out some EMT students out on skills. One of my prn coworkers teaches an EMT class and likes to bring in people the students don't know to make the skills test as much like the NIEMT test as possible. (The NIEMT is the skills test  that all who work in EMS must pass prior to licensure. The NREMT is its' written counterpart. It is a multiple choice test that typically has 3/4 correct answers per question. The catch is, you have to pick the most right.) I always enjoy helping with that- his students are well trained. There is occasionally a couple that are a bit shaky on it, but that's their own doing. For the first time, I did have to fail a student. I felt terrible, but she administered a medication that EMTs aren't allowed to give. She had done great until that point. Thankfully, they get one retest. She knew what she did wrong, and passed on her second try. We finished up with the testing around 3 pm or so. After that, I headed to Mount Vernon to run errands (there was a stop in Republic at McDonald's for restrooms and some sweet tea). I was able to get one errand done, but I forgot that the pharmacy closes at one on Saturdays. Minus that errand,  I headed home. I was super tired driving home and wasn't going to have time to nap before needing to get ready for the wedding. Being that tired made me a little nervous driving that late since the wedding didn't start until 7 and was 1-1.5 hours away one way. I ended up not going, which makes me feel terrible, but I doubt my coworker would have appreciated me snoring during her wedding! The pictures I have seen of her wedding are amazing though!!!! I also did not get anywhere close to getting her wedding gift finished. Here's a pic of the dismal progress: 


I ended up going to Carthage with Mom to help her drop off Dad's lunch box and pick up some large pre-filled planters for the church since 2 people loading/unloading was going to be much easier. Thankfully, Mom drove! We did get caught in a bit hail, but nothing too crazy. After the Lowes stop,  we rushed home. From that point on,  I stayed in a half-comatose state until I went to bed. Fun fact: that was also my parent's 28th anniversary! Happy belated anniversary!!!  Dad and Mom were able to go out to eat on a mini-date before Dad had to go to work. Unfortunately, the plant he works at is having to run Saturdays and possibly some Sundays right now. :(  
 On Sunday, we did something we haven't done since I was a fairly little kid. Since one of our church members was under the weather, one was in the hospital (wasn't sure that her husband would be able to get ready for church w/o her help), and our fill in preacher was not able to come then, we went to church services at Silver Dollar City! We heard a wonderful message that has kept me thinking ever since. Definitely got a blessing from that. After that, we did ride the train & Flooded Mine. That was the first time Dad had been able to go, and we couldn't let him miss out on those! (He was going to go with us on Thurs since we couldn't leave until Kirst got off work (she worked 8-11 and then came home), but he got stuck working late and wasn't able to make it then). Then, we just kind of wandered around, ate pizza, looked at the shops, watched the play at the Saloon (don't worry- its alcohol free and family friendly!),  and tried to catch some of the demonstrations. We finished it off with an Oreo Cookies & Cream funnel cake. We left early since Dad had gotten off late again that morning and we were all dragging a bit. Plus, it started to storm. We had a great time!!!!!! (Well, except for getting soaked through on the tram ride back to the parking lot). And I remembered to take a few pictures!!!! They're really not that good and I didn't get a chance to take as many as I had hoped to, but something is better than nothing! ;)
  






(Sorry folks, that's all she photographed!)
 Aaannnnddd, of course, I'm back at work. When I got here this morning, the only truck in the bay is our half stocked back line truck which had the hood up. Which typically means that something is wrong and it is out of service until further notice. So, I spent some of the time getting some of the station chores knocked out. Once the 9 o'clock truck came, the supervisor found out that it was dead. Normally, the 12 hr truck would have been there and we would have temporarily ran out of it, but a coworker came in early and took it to a school pr event. Once it was jumped and running again, we took it over to the school and traded the trucks around. And then when my truck got back from the Big City, we moved into it. After the checking, wiping down of, and washing of my truck, we all went for a late brunch. Well, except for the 12 hr, they was on a transfer. My truck has only had one call so far. Our 12 hr has ran 2, and our other 24 hr truck is on a LDT. I'm estimating that they won't be back until  after midnight. And we lose our 12 hr at 9, so it may get interesting. Well, I think I've yakked enough for now. Sorry for the long post! I've missed chatting with and hearing from youns!
 Happy Stitching!
  Emmy

2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Emmy, it sounds like you have had some fun adventures with your Mom. Good for you! I am sorry you missed out on the wedding, but you were wise not to make that journey. Have a good week!

Khristine Doiron said...

You've been busy! Looking forward to see you stitch up your new buys!