Wednesday, July 7, 2021

I'm struggle-bussing it

  I cannot seem to get my act together here lately. Normally, I have routines, so I can just do stuff on autopilot, and get it done. But all of my routines have flown out of the window with school and then dropping to PRN at work. I am in a world of confusion right now. Here are some of the more interesting examples:

  Shift before last, we went to a call with a young lady that had been abused by her boyfriend and drove several hours to get away. 3 police officers were on scene as well as the pt, my partner, and myself. We checked her VS, confirmed that she did not want to go to the hospital repeatedly (I would have felt better if she would have), and then returned to the station. After making it back to the station, I went to use the restroom, where I found out that I likely ran the entire call with a toilet paper tail. And nobody thought to tell me! My partner was adamant that he had not noticed any such thing- he is a man, so I do believe him on that one! 

  The next shift, my truck was dead-dead at the get go. In all of my company's wisdom, we continued to "run" out of it- at least once it was charged enough to start. We did go and run errands then- it was charged enough to drive, but nothing else worked. No headlights, no wee-woos, no obnoxious siren, zip, zilch, nada. Oh well, it worked out. Thankfully the air ride was working by the time we got a pt. They would have been very angry if not!

  Now onto the shift following that! I normally put my food that goes in the fridge in a bag, then put the bag in the fridge. If you feel this is unnecessasry, you are absolutely right, but some jerk kept stealing my cheese sticks, and I don't know who it was, so I never found out who to stab with my trauma shears (putting the trauma in trauma shears, one cheese stick thief at a time!). It was either stab everybody (felt a little excessive...) or try something else. Thankfully, the bag thing worked. Well, that and being very vocal that I would absolutely stab a cheese stick thief, if I ever found out who it was. Like, come on, who steals a girl's cheese stick?!? Take the yogurt or something, but not the cheese, and not my dessert!!!!  Anyway, now that I have had my little tantrum, I grabbed my bag, and headed off to work. After getting to work, I went to put it in the fridge when I realized, to my horror, that I did remember my bag, but I did not remember to put anything in it!!!!!!
  
  My last shift, we got off after 11:30... we were suppose to be off at 9. We were already on a late call when they made us go to a wreck. I felt really dumb because all of these people kept saying my name, and when I answered, they looked at me like I was really stupid. I was starting to wonder if I was having a stroke or something (my BP was absolutely high enough at that point) and just speaking gibberish. At one point, a firefighter said, "Emily is a patient, too." I'm thinking to myself, "No, I'm calm. Why is he saying that?" (We say that whenever someone gets really worked up over something. Some EMTs, Paramedics, etc have literally had heart attacks on the truck during a call from all of the cumulative stress of the job.)  Turns out, my pt and I share the same first name! She was the second one of the day with my name. Usually, I don't share a name with my patients, just classmates.

  As you can see, life has been very, very entertaining of late. Only one thing was embarassing (the TP tail) for about 30 seconds. It is now my favorite story to tell everyone! 

2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Oh Emmy, hope your days go better this week. Loved your bag and cheese stick story! Thinking of you.

The Sew Happy Stitcher said...

Hi Robin! How have you been?