Sunday, April 1, 2018

Easter Blessings


So, this amazing Easter got off to an interesting start.  When I left work, everyone, and I mean everyone, that I waved at waved back. Which never happens, so that was super cool. I was roughly halfway home when I ended up with a flat tire. I called my Dad in case I needed back up and dutifully pulled the doughnut and tire changing doohickeys out of the trunk of my car. As I pulled everything out of the bag, I  gave myself a pep talk and was convinced that I could handle changing a flat tire on my own, no problem. And then I found a metal thingy-ma-bob that I did not remember using in the past. Uh-oh. Just then a gentleman in a pickup drove by and pulled over just as I was praying that he wouldn’t stop. I then switched to praying that he was not a serial killer or in the market for a short 20 something paramedic to hold hostage as a house keeper that would not be allowed to stitch, etc. As soon as I saw his face, my gut said that he was harmless, so I relaxed. He offered to help, which I accepted because of the unidentifiable thingy mentioned above. Long story short, between the gentleman, my Dad, and myself the tire was changed and I made it home to shower and dress for church. And for the record, Dad does not remember what the doohickey was for and it is not needed to change a tire. Yay!  Mom was worried because I now needed to ride with her (Dad leaves early to pick up the older folks on Sundays) and she had a Sunday School lesson to give plus we needed to set up for our skit and my needing to get ready was going to make us late. Mom was becoming very stressed; I completely understand why. She does a lot on non-holiday Sundays and felt extra pressure to make today perfect. I remember Mom saying, “I just wanted for today to be a special day and for everything to go smoothly.” Well, I know exactly how she felt; I felt the same way at Christmas. The lesson I learned at Christmas was the same that applies to Easter. Nothing we have ever done, can do, or will do could ever make Easter, or Christmas, special. You know why? Because what God did thousands of years ago, can never be paled by anything we do or don’t do. I mean, c’mon. He was born of a virgin, died on a cross, and rose to life on the third day after being placed in a sealed and guarded tomb! There is absolutely no topping that! No matter how our planned celebrations go, this day is one of, if not the most, special day of the year regardless what is happening in this ol’ world. Whenever I read; “Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them. And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre. And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus. And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments: and as they were afraid and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not there, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. And they remembered his words, and returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest.” Luke 24: 1-9.  I love reading the entire section over Jesus’ crucifixion, resurrection, and how He showed Himself to Mary Magdalene and the disciples. Reading about the crucifixion causes tears; reading about the resurrection causes an indescribable joy that makes me want to shout! I hope each of you know this joy for yourself. Imagining how those that saw Jesus after He had risen fills me with such wonder and excitement. I think my favorite part of the above excerpt is this: “Why seek ye the living among the dead?” It says it all in that one sentence! My point of all of this is that Jesus made today special. My goal is to focus on what He did and celebrate what today is all about. I, for one, have had an amazing, blessed Easter spent at church and with family. I hope that yours was just as incredible and that we all hold the meaning and joy of today in our hearts forever.
 God Bless,
Emmy
P.S. The church service went wonderfully (especially Mom's lesson and the skit) and thankfully we was only 15 min late, give or take.

6 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

What a beautiful post to read this morning! Thank you for sharing your Sunday thoughts.

Robin in Virginia said...

PS I hope you are able to get your tire fixed or it replaced soon.

Khristine Doiron said...

Oh man! Glad you had help with the tire (I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do that by myself) and that church went well :) Happy Easter!

The Sew Happy Stitcher said...

I’m glad you enjoyed it!

The Sew Happy Stitcher said...

It was fixed a day or two after that, thank you!

The Sew Happy Stitcher said...

Thank you! Happy belated Easter!