Sunday, September 9, 2018

Sunday Vampire

 Well, I was all excited this morning. Minion and I had stopped at Mickey D's this morning- well, technically it was for Minion, but I just had to get a sweet tea and hashbrown. :) We were on our way to my church when we got a call (our 12 hr is BLS today, so we split the 24hr double medic truck so we could run 3 ALS ambulance. This made my truck first up for call) for a 51 yof having muscle spasms in her hips and back, unable to walk. We both looked at each other and rolled our eyes since we both felt it would probably turn out to be bogus. She was laying on the bed in a very, very cramped bedroom. She told me that she tweaked her knee yesterday getting out of the shower and that it is so bad today that she can't move or walk. I tried to talk her into letting us help her walk, but she refused to try. Minion had to turn sideways to get past a dresser, so packing her out was not going to be easy. Fire also didn't come, so we had to call for another truck to come. One firefighter did show up shortly after this, so we rearranged a lot of furniture while waiting for the other truck to come. This included pulling drawers out of a dresser, clearing off the top, and moving the dresser. Apparently it takes a paramedic and an EMT combined several minutes to figure out anti-theft drawers. I tell you, we're so smart, we're brilliant! 🙄 Once the other truck arrived, we got her on a mega mover with the pt doing her part by screaming and putting on a good show (seriously, she deserved an award for that).2 climbed over the bed while the other 3 of us remained on the floor. Even with the dresser moved, the corner was still a tight squeeze, but we succeeded in not banging her head, so all was well! Once we got her moved to the ambulance, the pt's VS confirmed what we were afraid of- HR was in the 70s, BP was 116 over something normal, and pulse ox was good. Which, with how the pt was screaming and saying that she couldn't handle the pain, means that either VS were wrong or the pt was lying... guess which one we went with? Granted, some meds (like beta blockers) can prevent the HR and/or BP from increasing in a normal response to pain, blood loss, etc, but none of the meds she takes would cause that. Basically, we had a "vampire" as my medical director likes to say. We usually just call them seekers, but vampire is more fun to say. Anyhow, she relaxed after a few min. We chatted and laughed all the way to Big City (she hates Local Hospital- believe me, I tried to talk her into that!). She did good until I told her we was a few min away. Then, right on cue, she started her act again. Guess she feels she needs a  few min to get into the role. I doubt Big City Hospital will fall for it either. I was pretty upset about missing church over that, but it is what is.
 God worked it out though; my Bible Study about praying more effectively ended up lasting over 2 hours and I was definitely blessed by it! God is good all the  time, and all the time God is good! I hope youns have had a great Sunday! Hopefully, I'll be able to squeeze some more Reba episodes and stitching in later! Right now is supper time!
 Happy Stitching,
 Emmy

1 comment:

stitchinrose said...

Eons ago when he was young my husband was and EMT and the stories he could tell, people are unusual or as we say well Bless their heart.

the anti-theft drawers gave me a pause. As you know drawers can be used instead of underwear; and my brain came up with anti-theft underwear, was a big HUH? moment. :o}

how is your little one?