Friday, November 22, 2019

Smokey the Hero

I thought that Smokey had just noticed various items stored under the couch while we napped on the floor this morning.  I reassured him, and encouraged him and his warmth to return to his perch on my stomach. Later, I was somewhat upset when he sensed my resolve to return to the Land of the Awake and Productive and chose that moment to snuggle down on my chest and turn into the world’s cutest cuddle bug. But when he suddenly aborted his mission of distraction and went on high alert, I knew something was afoot. And then, when he valiantly charged the giant, human-eating spider, I behaved as any weak, defenseless human would. I promptly panicked and searched for the nearest shoe while Smokey gallantly danced in a circle with the spider, swords clashing and insults hurling. My knight in shining fur fought fearlessly until he had successfully chased the dragon-spider back to its cave under the couch. My dauntless hero didn’t even have a whisker out of place, while I am certain that the spider now needs therapy after it’s harrowing experience.
My hero, prior to the spider’s invasion


“Do not fear my poor, defenseless, human maiden. I am here to protect you.”