Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Lotta Words

 Oh goodness,  I'm not even sure where to start.  I guess this post is just going to be a bit scattered; I apologize in advance. If nothing else, skip to the end where all the pictures are!
 This week is going to be a bit busier than they have been lately. Know that when I don't post often, I still think of youns and thank the good Lord for youns! I get off tomorrow morning, so I get to run home, shower, and maybe get something accomplished, before returning to the town that I work in. I'll have lunch with my boss and a coworker and then we will go over a call from a year ago. 3 hours after the lunch time, I have to go and answer questions. We ran a bad wreck last year that did not end well for a very young person; the individual's family is suing the others involved, so we have all been given subpoenas. I haven't ever had to do this before and would prefer not to. Especially because this call kind of  bothered me at the time. The lady that died was just a couple of years older than me and left behind a baby daughter who was also injured. I think the fact that a baby was involved is what got to me; usually, I feel compassion for my patients during the call, and then revert to a sort of heartless sounding state, where I care, but I also don't care. I hope all turns out well for them, or in some cases, their loved ones. I know that sounds terrible, but it actually works out better. Being able  to care and then let calls go makes it so that I can do my job. Sometimes, some calls do bother me, like the pediatric calls or the time we had an elderly pt dying with eyes the same shade of blue of my Great Grandma's eyes were. Some calls do come to revist on extremely rare occasions. Those times,  when I get some time to myself, be it at home or the station, I take time to just chill. I do something I enjoy that takes my mind off of it a bit. If I need to, I cry. I'm the odd ball that does occasionally cry with family when I call a code. Its not like chest-heaving sobbing, just a couple of tears that fall. In my experience of the couple of times that has happened (told you I'm a bit heartless- I've unfortunately had to call a lot of codes in my career. We have multiple nursing homes and large geriatric population). The family seems to appreciate it; they know I cared, or at least I did care while I was doing what I could for their loved one. Believe it or not, despite the whole shoving bad stuff back at times coping method for the stuff  that sticks, it is actually a lot healthier than what quite a few of others in EMS do. Like a lot of other EMSers (totally made that word up), I find gruesome trauma fascinating to look at. Don't get me wrong- I feel extremely bad for the patient. I'm just a bit heartless sometime, not totally heartless all the time! And sometimes I do an inward cringe for them, especially if they're conscious and can see how bad it is.  I'm just saying that because the appearance of  her injuries didn't bother me. Anyhow, all is good on the whole being ok with that call; its just something that I don't really want to have a spend a day answering stranger's questions while they film me. Hopefully it won't take long; I really need to get some stuff done at home, and would really like to get more sewing in!!!
 On Saturday, a cousin is getting married. Which is great, except I get off that morning and it is going to be a long drive. Hopefully, I'll get full night's sleep at work and the trip goes well. I've only briefly met his fiance. My prayer is that they have a wonderful marriage and that they remember that it takes 3 to have the best kind of marriage; God first, then each other. My Mama taught me that when I was little. Its something I plan on remembering for the future, should my future guy ever find his way out of the cave he is obviously lost in. 
  Monday, on top of work, is our mandatory training. There is a later date in August, but I have plans that day, so I need to make it through that training without missing too much while running calls. To be honest, I seriously need a break from work. The problem is, our vacation time is our sick time and I've gotten sick enough that I all but wiped out my vacation time. That is even with not claiming it all the time, and working sick when I could. I know, I know, I shouldn't do that and I do know better. Sometimes things can't be helped. Our vacation time accrues at an insanely slow rate, so I'm hoarding what I've accrued for craft show season. Still, I may try to trade somebody so I can work a 48 and have some extra days off. 48s usually don't go in my favour, but I desperately need some time off for my sanity's sake and to get some stuff finished! Actually, getting certain things finished would probably be the most helpful. 
 Great news!!!!!!! Two of my favorite first responders/ former EMT students just enrolled in paramedic class!!!!!!! And they're planning on doing at least part of their ride time with me!!!!!! As much as I would love to have them for the entire time, it would be good experience for them ride somewhere busier as well. Still, you had better believe I am going to soak up every day they can ride with me!!!!!! 
  Mr. Smokey Bear Swisher sends his regards and wanted me to let youns know that he will be writing to you as soon as I have time to assist him with the computer. He is a little cross that he hasn't been able to write for so long; I guess he wants to tell youns about my crazy ideas or something! Here are a couple of pics of cute lil fart: 


And here is one of Mr. Banjo in his impenetrable fortress: 
 And another one because he is so stinkin' cute:


 *We just got back from a call with a pt that ended going to the Big City, or this would have already been posted. Plus the wifi and cellular data are sketchy today, so its taking a while to get the picture to load.
*
 Here's how the bicycle is going:

 It feels like I'm progress now, especially so since I've pretty much just been stitching at work. 
  Have a great night/day!
 ~ Emmy

5 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

I hope the day you are filmed goes smoothly and quickly for you. Smokey looks like he is adjusting to his new life; Banjo is a cutie.

Karla Swisher said...

There is absolutely nothing about you that is heartless! God has given you a way to deal with the horrid things you have to see. Thankfully you and other EMS workers can deal with seeing the gruesome stuff so you can help save lives! I hope an awareness will be made about the toll EMS can have on the workers mental health and that everyone can have a strong support group. Thank you for what you do!!

Khristine Doiron said...

I had never thought that EMS workers would have to answer questions down the road about patients in accidents. That would be tough I would think. Hope everything goes well for you when you have to go in. And I love love love your bike! It looks so good!

The Sew Happy Stitcher said...

It did, thank you! Thanks; I'm pretty partial to both of them!

The Sew Happy Stitcher said...

Your welcome and thank you!