Sunday, July 29, 2018

Papa Bear


When I was a child, I always told Mom that she was my Mama Bear. Whenever we would be out and about, or if I was telling her about something that someone had done, she was always quick to come to my rescue. Don’t get me wrong, she gave me room to learn and grow, but if someone was picking on one of her cubs, watch out! There were several instances, primarily at the grocery store, where someone would hit my sister or myself with their cart, whack us with their purse, or otherwise be rude to us when we would politely excuse ourselves and attempt to get something for Mom. Whenever something like that would happen, Mom’s hackles were instantly raised. She was, and still is, one Mama Bear that does not appreciate people messing with her cubs. Mom would take care of the situation, whether it involved saying something, walking away, or shielding us. Whenever someone accidentally would hit us or bump into us, we knew to let Mama Bear know, so that individual would be spared the Mama Bear’s protective anger.
  Don’t get me wrong; my Mom is not a mean person. She hates confrontation. She will tell you she is a coward. But when it came to protecting her cubs, she would not hesitate to obliterate the threat. Even when dealing with a “threat,” she was not a mean person. She didn’t harm anyone and often chose to say something. On rare occasions, it would be a like return. This was saved for people like the lady that made eye contact with me while she hit me with her cart. Mom ended up hitting that lady’s cart with her own cart. Not terribly hard, no one was injured in the making of this point, but that lady did get the message. When she tried to do the same thing again, all it took was one look from Mom and she backed off. I honestly believe I heard my Mom growl that time!
   My point is this: God is the same way. All Christians get to say that He is their Papa Bear. He isn’t overly heavy-handed, but anyone that intentionally harms one of His “cubs” will have to answer to Him for it. And whether you see that individual’s consequences or not, know that God is protecting you, will continue to do so, and He is handling the situation. If you don’t believe me, just read what happened whenever someone or someones decided to mess with the Israelites. Or how God blinded Paul (then Saul) while Paul was on his way to persecute Christians. Know that, come what may, God is on your side. Sometimes, He may allow harm to come to one of His cubs, but there is a reason for it. Sometimes, adversary strengthens a young cub. Other times, it reminds us to not stray away from our Papa Bear. Other times, it is for a reason that we either won’t know or don’t understand this side of heaven. Just remember, Your Papa Bear is always beside you, even when you can’t see Him or feel His presence.
Some of my most favorite verses about God’s help and protection come from Psalms. Here are a few of my favorites:
“And the LORD shall help them, and deliver them: he shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in him.” Psalms 37:40
“The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.” Psalms 28:7  
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” Psalms 46:1
“Our soul waiteth for the LORD: he is our help and our shield.” Psalms 33:20

2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Excellent post to read this AM!

The Sew Happy Stitcher said...

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it!